Romain Sato and Justin Doellman were teammates on the men’s basketball team for just one season, 2003-2004.
Sato was a senior, Doellman a freshman. But together they led Xavier to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. Ten years later, the pair found themselves back together, this time in Valencia, Spain.
They also found themselves just as successful on the court. The two led Valencia to the Eurocup Championship this year, beating Kazan (Russia). Both Sato and Doellman were named to the all-Eurocup team, with Doellman adding the championship MVP award to those honors.
This was Doellman’s second Euroleague season.
Sato also won a Euroleague title in 2011 with Panathinaikos (Greece) and an Italian League title in 2009 with Siena and a League MVP award in 2010.
• Watch highlights from Game 1 of the Finals.
• Watch highlights from Game 2 of the Finals.
• Watch an interview with Sato.
• Watch an interview with Doellman.
• Watch highlights of Doellman’s MVP performance.