With Xavier located in the middle of three urban neighborhoods, the safety of the 8,000 people living, working or studying on campus can be a challenge. But new policing efforts and safety measures have resulted in a 30-percent drop in campus crimes compared to four years ago. University initiatives to reduce crimes include:
- Dozens of new lamp posts to improve lighting.
- 34 new emergency phones that connect directly to the police dispatcher.
- A video surveillance system.
- Electronic door access on buildings to replace key locks.
- Joining the neighboring police departments of Norwood and Cincinnati to create concurrent jurisdictions.