Before laptops and wireless routers, students and faculty utilized the University’s only computer center under the supervision of the department of mathematics. “The computer center is able to prepare students for the business world by providing instruction in the use of the 1620 computer,” reads an excerpt from the 1966 Musketeer. Manufactured by IBM, the 1620 was a general-purpose computer used to process data for small businesses and schools. Although regarded as inexpensive at the time, the 1620 cost just under $100,000.
Today there are five computer labs on campus with 98 computers available for student use. Students can also check out laptops at the library and the Gallagher Student Center. The most recent development is the conversion of the entire campus into a wireless environment. Students can use their laptops in any building on campus and even outside on the campus green. The most popular wireless spots include the dorms, the Gallagher Center and the great outdoors.