Mainstream news outlets discuss the election of the new pope
Stories focus on Bergoglio, the Jesuit order and his choice of the name Francis
Stories about the election of Argentinean Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio as the new pope offer a wide perspective on the unexpected choice of a Jesuit and his choice of the name Francis:
- The Society of Jesus reports on the election of one of its members to be Pope Francis I.
- The society’s Superior General P. Adolfo Nicolás S.J. issued a statement about Bergoglio’s election.
- The Catholic News Service reports on the new pope and the Jesuits’ surprise at Bergoglio’s election.
- The National Catholic Reporter announces Bergoglio’s election as pope.
- USA Today writes about the order of the Society of Jesus.
- The Daily Beast writes about seven things to know about the Jesuits.
- The Atlantic writes that the choice of the name Francis reveres both Francis of Assisi and Francis Xavier.